A brief tutorial for creating an online store using Magento system

Hi, thanks for taking time to read this, today I am going introduce you to an open source e-commerce shopping cart application called Magento, it has more features than the other e-commerce solutions. As a Magento front-end developer, I found it very easy to make modifications, add new features using thousands of extensions available, including promotions and coupons. You can learn more about Magento by visiting Magento Official Website.

Most of e-commerce sites in Cambodia are running on Facebook, but there are also independent websites such as Roserb, Khmer24, Kaymu, and a newly launched MAIO Mall. Two of the online stores that I just mentioned, Roserb and MAIO Mall, are using Magento as their e-commerce solutions.

There is no doubt that Magento is one of the best and perfect e-commerce solution available these days, due to its benefits below:
- Free download for Community edition
- Be able to add unlimited number of products in store
- No limitation to having number of Administration accounts
- Multi-Store Management
- Multiple Language Support
- Sophisticated content management system
- Highly Customizable
- Easy third party integration
- More than thousand extensions available, both free and paid ones.
- SEO & Marketing Features.

Magento is easy to install, I will show you how to install Magento in your local machine. This installation includes 3 main steps:
1. Install XAMPP on Localhost
2. Pre-configuration before installing Magento
3. Install Magento on Localhost

1. Installing XAMPP on Localhost
The guide for installing XAMPP can be found here

2. Pre-configuration before installing Magento
After starting XAMPP, click on "Config" button  of Apache in XAMPP Control Panel

In php.in, turn on these extensions by simply remove ";" at the beginning of each line to enable the extensions:
កូដ: [Select]
extension=php_curl.dll

extension=php_mcrypt.dll

extension=php_pdo_sqlite.dll

extension=php_pdo_mysql.dll

extension=php_soap.dll

Next, start Apache and mysql:

Magento requires itself to be installed on a host name with at least one period '.' in it, therefore running Magento under Localhost name will not work. So, we are going to config hosts file by locating C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts in your Local machine, then edit the file with notepad and insert this line:
កូដ: [Select]
127.0.0.1 magento.localhost.com www.localhost.com
3. Install Magento on Localhost
Next you need to do to install Magento manually is to download the latest installation package from the Magento official website. Downloading Magento package requires users to be logged in, you may register an account if you don't have one.

After downloading the files, extract source code of Magento and rename it to khmermagento, then put in htdocs folder of XAMPP, the path may look like this if you install XAMPP under Drive D, D:\xampp\htdocs. Therefore, the path to your magento store folder would be D:\xampp\htdocs\khmermagento, and the address of the store is www.localhost.com/khmermagento, to see your store in browser, you need to configure your store database first.

Visit Phpmyadmin page by this link, www.localhost.com/phpmyadmin, and create a new database called khmermagento.

Now it's time to connect your new created database to your Magento store, and make some configurations . Simply go to www.localhost.com/khmermagento, you will be redirect Magento store installation page as below.

Select "I agree to the above terms and conditions" and "Continue" to proceed to next step where we can config locale, timezone and default currency.

Modify these options for your Magento site:
- Locale: Language => English (United States) / English (United States)
- Timezone: your store timezone => SE Asia Standard Time (Asia/Phnom_Penh)
- Default currency: default currency you want to use for your store => Cambodian Riel

*Note: for Default currency, you can choose US Dollar as well depends on your store requirement.

After you're done, click on "Continue" to go to database configuration page.

Enter the important information such as:
- Database Name: your store database => khmermagento
- User name: user name of database user => root
- Password: password of database user

*Note: If you have never set the password of database user before, the default password will be blank, therefore, you can leave the Password field blank, no need to fill in any information.

After finish with filling the information, click "Continue" to finish the installation. Magento will start to connect your store with the database assigned to it, it is taking a while to store data tables to database, after it's done, you can enter Magento Admin details:

- First name: your first name
- Last name: your last name
- User name: admin user name for logging to admin page
- Password: admin password for logging to admin page

Click "Continue" to finish the installation.

Now you have done with Magento installation on your local machine. You can go to admin section by clicking on button Go to Backend. For frontend, click on button Go to Frontend.

Thanks for taking your time to practise this with me, I hope it can be the a source of information for your new knowledge of Magento, I will continue my next post with the topic called Importing sample data after installing Magento to show sample products in the store.

Special thanks to Tutorial Magento for reference.

It's a useful knowledge. Cambodia also should have an effective online shopping website as Amazon

Thanks for your support, Heak.

ឆ្លើយតប